Leslie County was formed in 1878 from parts of Clay, Harlan and Perry Counties. It was named for Preston H. Leslie, an early governor of the state of Kentucky. Hyden, the county seat of Leslie County, was founded in 1878 and named for state Senator John Hyden (1814-1883), then state Senator from Clay County and one of the commissioners appointed to establish Leslie County.
The County is situated on the head waters of the Middle Fork of the Kentucky River. The Middle Fork flows northward through the heart of the county to the Buckhorn Reservoir in Perry County. A large portion of the 404 square miles that is Leslie County is comprised of the Daniel Boone National Forest. Leslie County's abundant natural resources has provided a stable economy and rich heritage through the coal mining and timber industries.
Leslie County is home to two institutions of higher learning. The Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing and the Leslie County Cmapus of the community and technical college system. The Frontier School grants advanced degrees in many area of the nursing practice. The community college offers associate degrees in the arts and sciences. In addition, it is home to the Kentucky School of Bluegrass and Traditional Music.
Frontier Nursing Service 606-672-2317 (#75000792)
GPS: 37o 16' 15.736N/83o 23' 01.429" W
Home of Mary Breckinridge, a hospital, two outpost clinics & the oldest school of nurse/midwifery in the nation. Hal Rogers Pkwy, Exit 44. Tours by appointment. Listed with National Register of Historic Places.
Frontier Nursing School 195 School Street
Hyden, KY 41749
(606) 672-2312 (#90002126)
GPS: 37o 09' 56.160"N/83o 22' 45.312" W
The Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing is a private, non-profit, community based distance education graduate school offering both Masters and Doctorate degrees in Nursing. Established since 1939. Listed with National Register of Historic Places. Also, visit nearby, the Wendover Big House - now serves as a Bed & Breakfast Inn. This is where the nurses were housed at one time.
Visit St. Christopher's Chapel and view the 15th Century Stained Glass Window.
Mary Breckinridge Historic Marker
Old Hayden Hospital
historic stone building houses the Frontier Nursing Service School. (606) 672-2317
Wooton Presbyterian Church Center. (#79001019). Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949. Listed with National Register of Historic Places. (left - photo)
Central Presbyterian Church
St. Christopher's Chapel - located on the Frontier Nursing Service campus. Houses a 15th centural stained glass window. (606) 672-2154
Roderick McIntosh Farm Building (#91001666)
Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, Listed with National Register of Historic Places.
John Shell Cabin (#75000791)
1850-1874. Listed with National Register of Historic Places.
Contains information about the formation of the county and Preston H. Leslie, former Governor of Kentucky.
Hyden - Veteran's Square
Leslie Countian, Willie Sandlin was the only Kentuckian to win the Congressional Medal of Honor in WWII. General John Pershing personally pinned the medal on him. Visit Veteran's Square to view the fountain made of stone from Mr. Sandlin's Leslie County home.
Hyden Courthouse Historic Marker U.S. 421
Cleveland, Grover - only Kentuckian to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor in World War I. Born on January 1, 1891. Medal for bravery, coolness in battle in action on September 26, 1918 at Bois de Forges, France. Died in 1949.
Located in the courthouse lawn.
Redbird Purchase Unit of the Daniel Boone National Forest
The U.S. Forest Service was established as an agency in 1905. In, 1937, the former Cumberland National Forest was established in Kentucky as part of the Forest Service. It was later renamed the Daniel Boone National Forest in 1966. The Redbird Purchase Unit became part of the forest system in 1965. It encompasses seven counties in Kentucky. The forest system was established to manage timber and other natural resources. The initial land purchase was land once owned by the Ford Motor Company when hardwood was used for automobile auto parts. The building that now serves as the Redbird Ranger Station was once living quarters for the Fordson Coal Company survey crews, engineers and draftsmen. They referred to it as "the Club House".